Thursday, May 22, 2008

Divorce

-: Divorce:-

When he came as Branch Manger in this town, everyone instantly liked him, pleasant personality, clean shaven and well mannered. He spoke fluent English and had a body language that typically showed arrogance. But his behaviour was contradicting his body language, always polite… gentle and that smile. Though he was in his late fifties, I am sure people believed him to be in his forties.

The day he joined, he made a speech, while taking charge from his colleague, and our ex- boss. The gist of the speech was, “I am no nonsense type person and together as team would show our strengths rather than factions that we usually get into of class- I to IV, leadership positions, or administration and so on… I believe in talking straight, I do not need mediators to talk to the person and I would love the same if one wants to talk to me, approach me directly.”

Each member of the group who attended this meeting perceived what he said; based on their past experiences and the class they were serving in, peon of the office felt… “He will not last” while customer relation dept people were happy to have a face which looked glossy!! Class three union people decided to be tough with him as they felt that he was a management dummy and had a special task, to clean the system. Likewise there were some neutral too…they wanted to experience him and were not in a hurry to rate him.

I had no choice; I was his personal secretary and could not be on either side… though I belonged to a class and union! By the end of the next day, he lost his cool when a union representative met him and tried to tell him how they, their union only worked efficiently and how he could rely on them, he also offered help in locating a house for him and invited him for Dinner that night. I was listening till this point very intently, such conversations are very entertaining and if documented may become the best of laughter shows.

He received a call from zonal office during this conversation and they needed some data, he passed the phone to me for the same and, that is how I lost the link in the conversation…. last I heard was him saying “thank-you, you may leave” a bit rudely almost closer to insult. There were three versions of this meeting. one that actually happened , one that boss stated and one that union leader spread by word of mouth… the last one was juicy and was entertainment for all for couple of days. He was sick of it by the second day… and said to me… “Chor hai Saab… kaam to karma nahi hai… or chale aate hai… he would have continued further but, may be he realized I too was from a union and this version would create unrest… he stopped.


By the end of the first month, people found him, rude, arrogant and impossible to deal with; somehow, I was saved from skirmishes and the only reason I could think of for this safety was my English, may be I understood what he wanted to say and in many cases I even became his translator. My colleagues found this also strange that we actually had not many issues. He stayed in guest house for a month, and now was looking for a house in this city. Initially he wanted a two bedroom place, but suddenly from last week, he asked me to help him locate a three bedroom flat.

He often would talk about his son and wife, how brilliant was his son and how he topped this exam and got that scholarship and how his wife how is an “expert” is busy and is in demand…and finds it difficult to cope with all I his absence. Staff was actually finding this part very difficult; they felt he was bragging about achievements of his son, wife and some actually tried to find from our office in that city if all that he claimed was true!

Most things about him were true! Including the feeling that our office had for him… with addition of one more thing, that he never wants people to visit his home, His professional and personal lives are different. This information relived most and they soon started framing strategies to deal with his “idiosyncrasies”. Now our office was at war with him and it was fun to watch the issues that were being raised… He was always correct about policies, the way he worked, people could hardly avoid work. Typically he would call someone… appreciate his work and efforts he put in office , check the pending work with him, and give him a new assignment, if there was excuse or pending work he would give them a deadline and offer his personal help. In one case he actually sat at the table of dispatch clerk and helped him post the pending parcels. The dispatch clerk never refused work that was allotted him after this and his desk never had pending work. Most people just offer verbal help, He always did all that he could do help the person. Despite growing disputes, and hush-hush tones talking about conspiracy against him, Branch in the first quarter did very well.

With me, he always talked during dictations that he gave , or while discussing reports; between intermittent meetings and phone calls…I too had found him selfish… egoist and person who never listened, he never asked me about my family, children, parents… he always talked about his son and wife mostly about his mother/father.

Once there was a silly typing error from my side, I accept it was my mistake and I should have been careful, his reaction while pointing the mistake was “you are also one amongst many- so what if I talk to you in friendly manner… it still does not give you any right to commit mistakes… he went on and on… I was naturally hurt. I just left the cabin and sat quietly … How could he be so rude? Once he called me for a dictation, I was busy with something, and took longer to reach his cabin, I opened the door, may be without waiting for his permission… he was facing wall, back at the door and was speaking to someone over phone... conversation seemed intense. When he noticed me, instead of asking me to sit… he yelled “get out- I expect you to seek permission before you enter my cabin”… I am sure the person at he other end too heard this. I was hurt. I was disturbed with his reaction and decided to keep distance in my interaction with him.

A fortnight after this episode it happened so that we had to travel together for the official meeting and though I was not entitled for a higher class he booked me with him, we stayed in the same hotel shared the same room… I found this behaviour strange; honestly after that last episode with him I had changed. With me, he was same and may be he was even unaware of what was in my mind… he was my boss not my friend that I could tell him that I was upset with his behaviour. Five days together were totally different, I saw him from close angles , his habits and his ways… he was like that with his boss too… in a meeting he reacted in the same manner with his boss… who very politely reminded him about a training session they had attended together in past… he was quiet. I learnt a technique of dealing with him.

Evenings on last two days were relatively free and he did lot of shopping, I was amazed with all the purchases that he made for his wife and son. He was buying gifts for them, like this was the last time that he was getting things for him. He had to purchase two new bags. He was to come back after a week to office, he went straight to his home from the venue and I had one week to tell the entire office about his “love” for his wife and kids.


His return got delayed by a week as his mother suffered a paralytic stroke, he was visibly upset but he did not let this affect the work, next week he was again on leave. Office was unexpectedly kind towards him, some actually called him up and were pleasantly surprised when he answered their calls and was not abrupt or rude.

Upon his return, he looked preoccupied and was in hurry to find a place for him, that week he concentrated only on shifting to a new place, he managed a cook and a full time servant too… later he told me that his parents were to shift here and stay in this town… on his own, he continued that his wife was busy…Getting more work, she got new projects and she was not able to handle illness and work. He narrated in detail about how last fortnight when there was hospitalization, she could not complete the assignments and she almost lost the opportunity of life time. But eventually together they managed.

He talked about their marriage and talked endlessly about their relationship. That week , I was labeled as “best friend” of the boss… and people wanted to know more about his family , life, and his affair…. with his own wife. Some were jealous and envied him, some compared him with themselves and some decided to change their relationships with their spouses! In fact lunch time now was official “spouse- praise time” irrespective of gender.
Branch continued to march ahead with new business, sales, profits and zonal office seemed happy with this progress.

Finally, his parents arrived in the city; I also asked him if I could be of some help. He was sure that he did not want anyone to miss office and be with him for shifting- unpacking. He shared with me that, cook will take care of lunch and helpers will take care of unpacking… was I supposed to share this information with staff, puzzled me…? He did not mention of his wife and son coming with his parents in his talks.

It was now almost a month and every thing appeared to be settled. He never invited anyone to his place nor did he encourage if anyone mentioned. He would give excuse of visit to doctors, physiotherapists and so on…Some people from staff wanted to check on information that they had got for him and were relaxed when the information matched. They even checked with me, if I had that privilege!

Later, that month he was to attend a meeting aboard, he was to be out of town for 8 days… he looked tense, reason being who will be with his parents…his wife could not come as some evaluation team was to come exactly during that time… his son had exams and his sister was away on a holiday. First he planned to cancel his trip, but may be his zonal office friends must have guided him against this as this was his chance to get in touch with international branch officers and staff, and he too was likely to get one in future. Ultimately he found one more caretaker for his parents who would be with them at night also.


He left for his 8 days trip, last day while he was leaving the office, I mentioned that, he should not worry about situation here…. “I would go everyday and find out if they need anything” … He said very curtly… “ thanks… but even if you cannot make it… that’s fine… there are now 3 people to look after them… may be he was reading my face… while he said this… so at the end he concluded… “What I mean is you too have responsibilities and commitments … but if can make it once… that would be fine”…I cursed myself for the offer that I had made.

He waited for my expression to change… but I was stunned.


For, first three days after he left, I was wondering whether I should be visiting his place or not, later I decided to visit and took my wife also, she could talk to his mother I thought .


We found the place with some difficulty; he had given me a different lane number and had forgotten to give his residential telephone number! We reached home, the door was open. One old man was being helped by attendant to walk… we introduced ourselves and he let us in. They knew that I might come in…!! This surprised me… House reflected taste… the living room was well decorated. On the bed in living room was his mother… we sat and chatted for a while… we talked about whole lot of things, as if we knew each other for ages, they both were craving for human touch, they were really happy to see us. When we sought the permission to leave, both requested to sit for some more time. His mother asked the attendant to get some refreshment for us….

My wife asked her about, their daughter in law- his wife… and how envious was she about her work and profile.

There was a long pause, than she said… may be he has not shared this with you, He is like that only…“Last year he got divorced…she said in one go... and continued without waiting for any resposne...he is very attached to his son, but the custody of son is with her…we do not know the reason of their divorce… because she is a good girl, she never wanted us to leave that house, and he never wanted us to stay with her, specially after divorce. She is not even working... I knew her from her childhood… in fact we shifted to her house after she lost her parents, as house was in very good locality. We sold our house and moved in there. This is the reason after divorce we had to shift here… we are torn between two. We not only miss our grand son but also our daughter-in-law… One reason for him to take transfer to this place is divorce…

Reason of divorce is still unknown to us, but I know my son is eccentric… My daughter tried to intervene and now he has stopped communicating with her too… otherwise she could have come and stayed with us… there were tears in her eyes… we tried to lighten the situation helplessly, not knowing how to deal with this information.
When we were to leave, she pleaded… do not let him know that I have talked all this to you, he does not like this… he will suspect you of talking about his personal life to all… I am sorry I should not have said all this… but I miss my house, my daughter in law, I miss human touch, your wife reminded me of her… I got very emotional… think this as request from a mother to a son…

We comforted her and promised her that this visit itself would be a secret.

I was numb, my wife was shocked, we walked quietly back home. I decided against the temptation of giving this information to people in the office, they would have loved this story! I was feeling sorry for the old parents and did not want to hurt their feelings. It took lot of my energy to go to office next day and not to talk about this “gossip”.


He was back to office on scheduled date; I acted to be very serious and apologized for not being able to go to his place as I had guests which kept me tied to my schedules. He seemed very happy… rather relived…


He said, Oh, don’t worry about such small matters… My wife and son, both were here…she managed to get some time off from her project, my parents had gala time….in any case they miss her more than me… and you know about my shopping impulse… they all liked there gifts… they were thrilled… they left by the morning flight… I am glad that they could make and were here… they liked this house also very much. In fact my wife will join us here as soon as the project she is involved with gets over…I must find out where are they now and he took his mobile out to call, he continued…but I had stopped listening to him blabber a long ago….I knew the reason for their divorce…

No comments: